A new video was released by the group on Wednesday in which a top al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula commander Nasr al-Ansi said last week’s attack on Charlie Hebdo a Paris newspaper was in retaliation for insults of prophet Mohammed.
The video was available briefly on YouTube prior to being taken down.
The video, which is 11 minutes in length, has al-Ansi criticizing France for being part of the party of Satan and that further terror and tragedies should be expected.
Al-Ansi said that the Yemen branch of the AQAP chose this target laid the plan out and financed it operation.
Al-Ansi continued by calling Cherif and Said Kouachi, who are the two brothers suspected of leading the attacks, heroes.
He congratulated the Nation of Islam for its revenge that soothed pain. He congratulated the brave men who carried out the glory for Islam.
Last week a statement was released by the group in which it said, that the killing at Charlie Hebdo were in revenge for the newspaper’s ridiculing of prophet Mohammed.
At that time, investigators in the U.S. questioned the statement’s authenticity.
Last week, another video was released by a Yemen al-Qaeda commander, who praised the attacks. However, he stopped short of claiming any responsibility for that terror operation.
Before Cherif and Said Kouachi were fatally shot by police, the two claimed they had been acting on behalf of the Yemen affiliate of al-Qaeda.
The man police shot and killed following a hostage standoff at a supermarket, pledged allegiance in a Sunday video to Islamic State, the militant group.
Amedy Coulibaly was suspected of links to the two Kouachi brothers, but it was not clear if he had been supported by IS.
This development comes at the time the first issue of Charlie Hebdo was released on Wednesday for the first time since the attacks and appeared to sell out at once.
The print run was 3 million when it normally is just 60,000 and then was raised to 5 million, reported the French media.