Three British Islamists have been jailed on Friday for what British authorities said was the planning of mass suicide bomb attack that was given the blessing of leaders in al Qaeda. Prosecutors in Britain also said the bombings could have resulted in more deaths than the London bombings of 2005.
Another man, an associate of the three, was sentenced for financing terrorism. The three who plotted the attacks, with help from others, intended to set off eight bombs in a huge attack possibly using timers to set bombs off in crowded places.
The plotters also contemplated welding knife blades to trucks and ramming them into crowds of people, said prosecutors.
Authorities said the intended targets were not identified, but the intent was to make the attacks more devastating that the four previous suicide bombings that took place in London on July 7, 2005. Those bombs killed 52 people on a bus and in underground trains.
Ashik Ali, Irfan Khalid and Irfan Naseer were given their sentences after they had been convicted in February at Woolwich Crown Court in London on 12 counts that took place between December of 2010 and September of 2011.
Naseer was a skillful bomb maker said the judge and sentenced him to life and he must serve a minimum of 18 years. Khalid boosted that the attack would be like another 9/11. He received 23 years and must spend a minimum of 12 before his release is possible. Ali received a sentence of 20 years and must serve at least 10 in jail.