Cease Fire in Gaza Collapses, Soldier from Israel Captured

A cease fire that had been agreed upon on just Thursday in the conflict in Gaza has collapsed shortly after it went into effect Friday, with the military from Israel announcing a soldier appeared to be captured Palestinians who emerged from one of their tunnels in the southern area of Gaza.

Health officials in Gaza said that Israel bombardments had killed 35 Palestinians and injured another 100. Palestinian witnesses said that tank shells from Israel hit Rafah while residents were returning to inspect their homes that had been evacuated.

Hamas put the blame on Israel for breaking the trust by saying that the mention of the capture of a soldier from Israel was a cover up of the barbaric massacres particularly in Rafah.

An Israeli military spokesperson said the government forces were attempting to destroy the tunnel, as the cease-fire terms allowed for, when a number of militants exited the tunnel.

Israel forces are carrying out an extensive operation with ground troops attempting to find the missing soldier.

The military identified the soldier who is missing as Hadir Goldin a Second Lt. who is 23 years of age.

A senior Hamas official Moussa Abu Marzouk, said the group has taken captive a soldier from Israel, but claimed that he was captured prior to the cease-fire.

The office of the Prime Minister of Israel released a statement that said again Hamas and the other Gaza terrorist organizations have violated the agreed to cease fire that they had committed to.

The cease-fire for humanitarian reasons was negotiated by the United Nations and the United States coming as a surprise.

Hostilities continued overnight and into Friday, with airstrikes Israel along with shelling that killed 14 more Palestinians, according to health officials in Gaza.

The cease-fire announcement came after many other shorter truces for humanitarian reasons had fallen apart last week.

It appeared that the overnight cease-fire was more significant as negotiators for the Palestinians and Israel were scheduled to meet over the weekend in Cairo, for formal talks.

Thus far, over 1,400 Palestinians and 64 Israelis have been killed.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.