The violence started Saturday when protesters stormed a base owned by Libya Shield, a group of different militias brought together because of having fought in 2011 in the country’s civil war and who are in charge of maintaining security.
Protesters demanded that the militias leave the camp and follow the complete authority of the security forces in Libya.
The number of deaths should increase the backlash from the public against the militias, who are accused of carrying out abuse against citizens, acting with impunity and carrying out their own agenda.
The director of the al-Jala hospital in Benghazi said Sunday that most of the deaths had been caused by explosive fragments and gunshots.
Officials in Libya provided little if any information about the clashes. No one knows how many of the militia or the protesters were killed. The original death too was set at just seven.
Ali Zidan, the Prime Minister returned early from touring towns in western Libya and called the events painful and sad, while urging his people to remain cautious and exercise much restraint.
Zidan said the protesters demanded the checkpoint located at the town’s entrance be removed. He also said that the members of Libya Shield should leave the area allowing the army and police to take control of all security issues.
The fighting was just the lasted example of lawlessness in the country in North Africa. The country has experienced a great deal of problems trying to transition from the civil war of 2011.