France said it was investing over $25 million to increase its security for its embassies and diplomats in Africa and the Middle East after one of its missions in Libya was targeted in April by a car bomb, said the Foreign Ministry on Wednesday.
Philippe Lattiot, a spokesperson, confirmed through an email that was sent by Laurent Fabius the Foreign Minister to his staff Tuesday announcing that the measure was taken because of the rising amount of international crises and the threats that emanate from them.
The French spokesperson said the program set up to improve the security of the missions and diplomats will concern, for the most part the Middle East and Africa.
In January, France sent its troops to Mali after Bamako requested help in eradicating the Islamist rebels that had taken control of sections in the north and were starting to move south.
The operation in one of France’s former colonies increased tensions across Northern Africa, with radicals threatening to hit back at France and other Western interests.
Although there were no claims of responsibility for the bombing that took place in Tripoli at the French embassy last month, it was a first attack that directly targeted France since its intervention in Mali.
Lattiot said, the upgrade in security would consist of buying new equipment, vehicles and increase the number of guards. The missions will also be reinforced.
France will sell some of its real estate assets located overseas to fund part of the costs.
The French government spends over 500 million euros annually managing more than 2 million sq. meters of land and property outside the France.