Gunman on Tunisia Beach Worked in Tourism Industry

The gunman in Tunisia, who killed 38 people on the beach June 26 worked for the tourism industry, said Habib Essid the Prime Minister in an interview released on Sunday.

Essid said the man was a dance club member and familiar in to the tourism industry, having been an event’s organizer.

Tourists fled yelling, as the 23-year old pulled out a Kalashnikov assault rifle from under a rolled up umbrella and starting randomly shooting outside one of the country’s five-star hotels.

The attack just north of Sousse in Port El Kantaoui killed one Russian, one Belgian, one Portuguese, two Germans, three Irish nationals and 30 Britons.

The assailant was shot and killed by police minutes later. Both the relatives and authorities described the shooter as a normal young man from Tunisia who liked break dancing.

A resident, who lived close to the parents of the gunman, said the man worked in Kantaoui in the tourism industry. It is there that authorities believe the man planned the attack, although no confirmation of that was made by any other sources surrounding the shooting.

The attack started on the beach, led to the swimming pool area and to the lobby of the Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel. The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, but no confirmation had been made as to whether it was a direct attack or just an attack influenced by the terror group.

On Saturday, which was eight days following the deadly massacre, Beji Caid Essebsi the President of Tunisia declared the country in a state of emergency saying the deadly attack left the country facing a special form of war.

In England, Prime Minister David Cameron announced a special memorial would be set up to honor the 30 Britons who were killed during the deadly rampage.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.