The fate of dozens of people being held hostage at a natural gas plant deep in the Sahara is unknown and causing great confusion and fear. Military forces from Algeria continue to battle against militant Islamists who abducted dozens nearly three days ago.
An official from the government of Algeria said a raid conducted by military force from Algeria was over, but there is ongoing activity in certain locations close to and around the plant, with some militants still using the plant as a hideout.
David Cameron, the Prime Minister of Britain said Algerians were still in pursuit of some of the terrorists, who could possibly still have hostages. Cameron said the terrorists who had attacked the plant in the eastern region of Algeria had been heavily armed along with being well coordinated in their attack.
There still are a number of people from Britain missing, but Cameron would not give an exact count because the situation was still quite complex. Cameron told reporters that Britain had not been informed by Algeria prior to the military raid on Thursday, but stressed that it was the militants, who have links to al-Qaeda, who are to blame. There have not been any confirmed numbers of hostages injured or killed nor has there been a number released of the amount who remains in captivity.
Cameron did say that foreign nations from at least seven countries besides Britain had been taken hostage, including many Algerians. Leon Panetta, the Defense Secretary from the U.S. said from London that the government was working continuously to ensure its citizens returned home safely.
Authorities from the U.S would not specify how many U.S. citizens were involved in the hostage crisis. Officials from France, Japan, Malaysia and Norway said they have nationals amongst the kidnapped.