Houthis Accept Truce of Five Days Offered by Saudis

The Houthi rebel group, the dominant opposition in Yemen on Sunday accepted a humanitarian ceasefire of five days that Saudi Arabia its adversary proposed but said it would respond to all violations of that five-day pause.

Saudi Arabia, a Yemen neighbor had announced on Friday that the five-day ceasefire would begin Tuesday, if the militia, which is backed by Iran, agreed to it, which would let in medical supplies and food that is badly needed.

Backed by the U.S. the coalition that is led by the Saudis had been carrying out air strikes on Houthis and army united that are loyal to Ali Abdullah Saleh the ex-president since late March, with the goal of restoring into power the government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi who was the president before he was forced out of office.

Colonel Sharaf Luqman, a spokesperson for the allied army of the Houthis, said that in Sunday the Yemeni forces agreed to this truce but would be ready to confront all attacks by the loyalists from Hadi or battlefronts that stretch across the majority of the country.

The Houthis have said that their military campaign has been aimed at defeating militants from al-Qaeda based inside Yemen and they accuse the forces of Hadi of supporting that same group.

Arab planes were bombing for a second consecutive day the huge compound in Sanaa the capital city, which is home to Saleh the ex-president, who is a key participant in the political crisis taking place whose loyalists in the fight are on the side of the Houthis.

Saleh is a wily politician and appeared unscathed and stood in front of ruins of his residence to taunt the Saudis in his remarks on television.

Airstrikes by Arabs also targeted weapons caches at a base and a presidential palace located in Aden a city in the south, which is the epicenter of the fighting that started over six weeks ago, and some fighters in the south questioned the pause in fighting.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.