Islamic State Claims Massive Cairo Car Bombing Was Its Work

On Thursday, the Islamic State claimed it had carried out a huge car bombing that had targeted security forces in Egypt’s capital of Cairo calling its operation revenge for the killings of some members earlier in the year.

Six police officers were injured in the attack that took place just before dawn on a National Security Agency branch. The agency is the domestic spy service for the country.

The blast, which was heard throughout a number of the different districts in Cairo, has increased fears of increased insurgent attacks in Egypt’s capital.

Islamists as well as other militants groups have been waging an increasingly deadly terror campaign against security forces in Egypt since the military coup in July of 2013 ousted Mohamed Morsi the President.

Amongst the factions is an organization based in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt that has pledged its loyalty to the IS. This group has carried out a number of car bombings.

In a posted message online, the IS said its soldiers of caliphate struck the security building of the state in a suburb of Cairo with a vehicle loaded with explosives.

A vehicle was bomb rigged and parked outside the offices of the security agency, which faces a very busy street only six miles from Tahrir Square.

The driver of the vehicle fled on a nearby motorcycle prior to the explosion, said the Interior ministry. Residents from the area said the assailant left the vehicle while stopped at a stoplight.

Egyptian insurgents frequently have targeted different security installations. IS said the attack on Thursday was retaliation for the Arab Sharkas, which is a reference to a deadly shootout site between security forces and militants in 2014.

The gun battle that lasted for hours was touched off via a raid on a workshop that was thought to be linked to militants who forged ties later with the IS. Senior army officers and militants were killed in that shootout.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.