Airlines have scheduled flights coming in from Tunisia landing at Manchester, Stansted, Bristol and Gatwick. Monarch Airlines and Thomas Cook announced that they are expecting to fly over 2,000 people back from Tunisia just this weekend.
Tunisia’s government declared a state of emergency following the massacre of 38 people, of which 30 were Britons that were killed by a militant Islamist gunman in Sousse on the beach June 26.
A new travel advisory by Britain drew much criticism from both Tunisian government officials and British tourists. The Tunisia government said it has done everything possible to protect its foreign guests.
Extra flights were added over the weekend to help evacuate the thousands of British vacationers and the hundreds of individual travelers in the Middle East nation.
The British Foreign Office has estimated that 1,000 to 2,000 Britons are still in Tunisia. On Friday, the figure was 3,000 to 3,500.
Thomas Cook said two flights with a combined 400 passengers returned to the UK Friday. There are 900 scheduled to return Saturday on four flights. Another 700 will return Sunday on six scheduled flights.
Monarch Airlines, which also is flying UK tourists said 125 passengers left Tunisia for the UK on Friday. However, it did not give figures for flights on Saturday or Sunday, as people are able to just turn up at the airport instead of booking in advance. On Sunday, two flights have been scheduled to bring back over 300 passengers.
Both Monarch and Thomas Cook announced their final flights would leave Tunisia on Sunday and that all further summer season bookings for the remainder of the season had been canceled.
Some British travelers were upset by the decision to return calling it too sudden and not justified. They were angry that the government’s advisory has been taken by tour operators as more of an order than as an advisory.