Officials in Syria Deny Motorcade of Assad Attacked

The information minister in Syria denied claims by rebels that they had attacked a convoy that included President Bashar al-Assad.

Reports that the president’s motorcade has been hit by rockets were only illusions and dreams the minister told state TV in Syria.

Rebels have said they fired their mortars at the convoy on its way to a mosque in the area of Malki, where the residence of the president is located.

However, pictures showed the president unharmed at a mosque in Damascus attending a prayer service to mark Ramadan’s end.

Nevertheless, a militant, Islam Alloush from the Liwa al-Islam Brigade said the motorcade had been hit while it was driving to the that same mosque in the capital.

Residents and opposition activists reported they had heard several mortar explosions that were incoming during the early morning hours

However, it was uncertain if the blasts in the area were connected to the visit. Allegedly, President Assad used his own car to attend the mosque.

Appearing in public for the third time in just over a week, Assad we seen sitting beside the grand mufti of Syria for Eid al-Fitr prayers, normally held one to two hours following sunrise.

It is not clear if the pictures used on state television had been pre-recorded or not.

If could be possible that the footage had in fact been prerecorded said analysts, as the reports show that the convoy that included the president had been struck while moving along toward the mosque.

Another rebel leader, Firas al-Bitar, told reporters that over 17 mortars hit the convoy with the president. He said the opposition has already been given information regarding the movement of Assad.

On Wednesday, government forces in Syria said that 60 rebels were killed in an ambush close to Damascus.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.