Second in Command of Al-Qaeda Has Been Killed

Nasir al-Wuhayshi the second in command of al-Qaeda was killed in Yemen by a drone strike, which dealt a heavy blow to the international terrorist group’s leadership hierarchy.

Al-Wuhayshi had been the top leader of the Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula or AQAP, which is one of the branches that are the most dangerous of the jihad network.

His death becomes the biggest blow to al-Qaeda since bin Laden was killed, said a terrorist analyst on television.

Two security officials in Yemen said on Monday that al-Wuhayshi was killed last Friday in a drone strike by the U.S. in the Hadramout region of Yemen.

Tuesday the AQAP released a statement via a video announcing that the AQAP leader had been killed along with two aides. The statement said that al-Wuhayshi was to be succeeded by the military chief of the group Qasm al-Rimi.

Authorities in the U.S. were trying to confirm the death of the AQAP leader said an official with U.S. intelligence said prior to the AQAP making the official announcement.

If true, it was a substantial blow to the leadership, said Angus King an independent Senator from Maine.

Al-Wuhayshi was charismatic and known as the crown prince of al-Qaeda who many adored within the ranks of the group.

Last year in a video, he appeared brazenly in the open greeting followers in Yemen, the poor nation that the organization uses as its base.

In the video he also made it clear during a speech that he was going after the U.S. saying they must eliminate the cross and the bearer of the cross was the U.S.

Al-Wuhayshi was from Yemen and assumed the command of the AQAP during 2009. He escaped from prison in Yemen during 2006 and previously worked as Osama bin Laden’s personal secretary.

Qasm al-Rimi the successor to al-Wuhayshi is considered a formidable leader as well. He is considered the brains behind the operation, said a terrorist analyst.

Leave a Reply

© 2006-2016 Mideast Time.