A number of vehicles had been destroyed during the assault, but officials from NATO said the Taliban were not able to breach the outpost.
This is just the latest of a string of attacks that are an apparent attempt at undermining the Afghan forces, which took over the country’s security from international forces.
A spokesperson said that NATO was still assessing the full impact of the Taliban assault that lasted three hours on the base located in the province of Nangarhar.
Three Taliban had been killed during the altercation and no personnel from NATO were killed in the incident.
A spokesperson for the Taliban claimed responsibility through an emailed message to different news agencies.
The attack is less than one week after fighters from the Taliban targeted a Polish base located nearby.
On Sunday, bodies riddled with bullets of seven kidnapped civilians were found in the province of Ghazni. The civilians had been kidnapped only a week ago by members of the Taliban.
On Saturday, a bomb along the road killed eight Afghans working for a mining company. Those workers had been traveling in a truck to a chromite mine located in the province of Parwan.
Last July, the parliament in Afghanistan voted to remove interior minister Ghulam Mujtaba Patang, blaming him for the security problems that had been increasing.
On Sunday, Omar Daudzi replaced him. Daudazi is the former Afghan ambassador to Pakistan and at one time was seen as the leading candidate to replace Hamid Karzai as the country’s president next year in the elections.
The security forces in Afghanistan are 350,000 strong, but have suffered a big increase in attacks throughout 2013, as NATO starts to wind down is mission in the country.