On Friday, the government of the United States issued a travel alert that covered the entire globe, warning all Americans that attacks might be planned by al-Qaeda for August, particularly in North Africa and the Middle East.
The travel alert by the State Department was based upon the same intelligence the U.S. used to close embassies and consulates this Sunday. The majority are ones located in the Muslim world, said an official from the U.S.
The statement released said that the State Department alerts the citizens of the U.S. to the potential for attacks by terrorists, particularly in North Africa and the Middle East, along with the possibility of them emanating from or occurring in the Arabian Peninsula.
Information, said the statement, suggested that both al-Qaeda and its affiliated organization continue their planning of terrorist attacks both in the Middle East and beyond.
Officials said Friday’s travel alert would remain in effect through the end of August.
The most prominent affiliates of al Qaeda is Al Qaeda Arabian Peninsula, a group based in Yemen whose attacks of terrorism have included the 2009 Christmas Day attempt to have a airline flight to Detroit from Amsterdam blown up.
Security sources in the U.S., who spoke on conditions of anonymity, indicated the terrorist threats had been related to AQAP, but no specific target has been determined. The same officials also said the attacks were aimed interests of the West.
Britain announced it was closing its Yemen embassy Sunday as well as Monday. They are concerned with security at the tail end of Ramadan and then in Eid, said the Foreign Office for Britain in reference to the holy month of the Muslim world that ends Wednesday.
An official from the U.S. who spoke anonymously said the threats were serious enough so that the government of the U.S. reacted in the way it has.