On Monday, United States President Donald Trump signed another executive order that bans immigration from six countries that are Muslim-majority.
However, the new order exempted Iraq from the previous order and reinstated a temporary ban on refugees from all countries.
This latest travel ban arrives just six weeks after the original one signed by Trump caused major chaos in airports around the globe, before federal courts blocked it.
The new one removed language in the first one that banned refugees from Syria indefinitely and called for the prioritizing of admitting refugees who in their countries of origin are minorities.
The provision was heavily criticized as it would have given priority to Christians over Muslims that were fleeing countries in conflict across the Middle East.
The new travel ban, which will take effect on March 16, explicitly exempts the citizens of six countries who are legal permanent residents of the U.S. or hold a valid visa to enter, including those who had visas that were revoked during the first ban said one senior official from the White House.
On Monday, Jeff Sessions the Attorney General said the U.S. could not compromise its national security through allowing the entry of visitors when their governments are not able or are not willing to give information needed to vet the visitors responsibly or when the governments are active supports of terrorism.
The latest measures will block those citizens from Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Yemen and Somalia from obtaining a visa for the next 90 days. The new order also suspends the admission of all refugees into the country for the next 120 days.
It directs officials from the U.S. to improve their vetting measures in a program regarded widely already as one of the strictest.
The delay in signing the new order was due to not wanting to take away from the positive coverage of the president after his address to Congress last week and because of a lobbying effort made by the government of Iraq, including its Prime Minister to remove the country from the original seven nations banned.
Rex Tillerson the Secretary of State said the removal of Iraq from the latest list came following intense reviews from the U.S. State Department that improved the vetting of citizens from Iraq through a collaborative process with the government of Iraq.